The Indian Subcontinent is full of surprises; some of the healthiest herbs and spices have emerged from the paradisiac corner of earth, including turmeric and ginger. Well, Moringa, the ‘tree of life,’ the newly adopted health-oriented plant calls the tropical climate home too.
What is Moringa? We’re talking about an ancient tree cultivated for its leaves, and seed pods, which are vital components in traditional medicine since forever. Interestingly, the word Moringa comes from the term ‘twisted pod’ because of the fruit’s peculiar shape.
The rich nutritional profile of moringa translates into wide-reaching health benefits, especially for your skin. Here’s all you need to know.
Moringa’s Health Benefits
- Scientific evidence continues to pile up on behalf of Moringa and its many health benefits. For starters, the plant is super-rich in antioxidants, compounds that bind with scavenging free radicals floating in your bloodstream.
- These harmful molecules cause oxidative stress and damage your cells at a DNA level, potentially leading to diseases, including inflammation and cancer.
- Moringa leaves are jam-packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, which helps you make the most of what you eat, vitamin C, that strengthens your immune system, and vitamin A, ideal for promoting skin health. Moringa will give your skin a healthy and radiant glow.
- Consuming Moringa can even lower blood sugar levels, decrease ‘bad’ cholesterol markers, and act as a potent anti-inflammatory. This is just the tip of the iceberg, by the way, because new exciting research about Moringa gets published constantly!
How Should I Consume Moringa?
Adding Moringa to your diet is effortless. Get yourself a proper Moringa leaf powder and combine it with smoothies and juices, soups, cereal, or salad. The best part? Moringa tastes delicious!
Consider yourself warned; not all Moringa is produced equally. Make sure you get yourself an organic-certified, non-GMO Moringa Powder like Spring Blossom Moringa. Where you source your superfoods is as crucial as consuming the superfoods themselves.
Having said that, today we’re talking about Moringa and your skincare. By applying a Moringa face mask once a day, you’ll see your skin health increase substantially. You’ll slow down premature ageing, relieve redness, and help control pimples. You’ll end up with a super smooth skin as well! Here’s how to make a DYI Moringa face mask at home.
Moringa and Avocado Face Mask Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Spring Blossom Organic Moringa Powder
- ½ ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl until incorporated and immediately apply on your face.
Gently massage your skin with your fingertips and let the face mask sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and enjoy a fantastically smooth skin!
Note: Use your face mask right away because avocado oxidizes fast. Make a fresh batch every time for the best results.